Here is a complete guide on how you can convert FIT to GPX on your Windows 11/10 computer. FIT is a GPS data file format that you can easily convert to a standard GPS file format such as GPX. In this article, we are going to discuss two different methods using which you can perform FIT to GPX conversion. Let’s see how!
How to Convert FIT to GPX on Windows 11/10
To convert FIT file to GPX format on Windows 11/10, you can use free software or free online tool.
Now let’s discuss the above methods in detail!
FIT to GPX conversion software
Here is the list of free software you can use to convert FIT to GPX:
- Garmin base camp
- GPS Utility
Garmin BaseCamp is a featured GIS software using which you can convert FIT file to GPX. It’s basically freeware that lets you view, create, edit, and convert GPX and other GIS data files. Besides GPX, you can also convert FIT to a few other GIS file formats including CSV, KML, and TCX. Before conversion, you can even edit the FIT file by editing routes, adding or editing waypoints, etc.
Besides conversion, you can find many more nice and practical tools there. These tools include options such as create adventures, create itineraries, trip planner, find addresses, find places on Yelp, find points of interest, locate coordinatesand more.
How to Convert FIT to GPX in Garmin Basecamp
Here are the steps to convert a FIT format to GPX format in Garmin Basecamp:
- First, download and install Garmin Basecamp on your PC.
- Now launch the software to start using it.
- Then go to the File > Import To option and import an input FIT file.
- After that you can edit the file if needed.
- Then click on the File > Export option, select GPX as the output format and press the key to safeguard button to convert the file.
It is a complete GIS software that you can also use to convert FIT to GPX and other file formats.
Another freeware you can use is GPS Utility. It is a simple software to manage, map and edit GPS data. Using it, you can also convert FIT to TXT, CSV, DXF, GPS, TRK, etc. formats. It also allows you to view FIT files using options like Show Routes, Show Track Points, Show Waypoints, Show Track Summary, Show Annotations, etc. Besides that, you can edit data such as coordinates, heart rate, time between track points, track point coordinates, etc.
However, the free version of this software has some limitations. It only supports a maximum of 100 waypoints, 500 track points and 5 routes in the input FIT file.
How to Convert FIT to GPX in GPS Utility
You can follow the steps below to perform the FIT to GPX conversion:
- First, download and install this software and then launch it on your PC.
- Now click on the File > Open option to browse and import the input FIT file.
- Then you can view and edit the GPS data of the imported file if needed.
- After that, go to File > Save As and save the file in GPX format.
To use this software, download it from gpsu.co.uk.
You can also try RouteConverter to convert FIT to GPX. This software allows you to convert FIT and other GPS data files to various formats including TRK, TXT, CSV, KML, KRT, etc. Before conversion, it also allows you to edit basic information in the input FIT file, including longitude, latitude, and altitude.
How to convert FIT to GPX using RouteConverter:
Here are the steps to convert FIT to GPX or any other format using RouteConverter:
- First, download RouteConverter and then launch this portable application.
- Now go to File > Open option and import the FIT input file you want to convert.
- Next, click on the File > Save As option and save the file in GPX format.
This is a free portable FIT to GPX converter software. You can download it from routeconverter.com.
Fit2gpx is a free, portable, command-based FIT to GPX file converter. To perform the conversion using it, you will need to enter the corresponding command in the command prompt. Let’s walk through a sorted procedure to convert FIT to GPX using a command:
First, download the software; you can get it from github.com. After that navigate to the download location of the software download jar file. Also make sure you have moved the input FIT file to the same location as the software executable file.
Now open the command prompt in the download location and then enter a similar command like the one below:
java -jar fit2gpx.jar --statistic input-file.fit GPX
In the command above, replace input-file.fit with the name of your input FIT file. When you enter the above command, it converts and saves the output GPX file to the same location as the input FIT file.
This is how you can easily convert a FIT file to GPX using a simple command.
Read: How to Edit KML Files in Windows 11/10.
Use the online FIT to GPX converter tool
Try the following online tools to convert FIT to GPX:
- AllTrails Route Converter
- GPS viewer
- Garmin Fit file conversion
1]AllTrails Route Converter
AllTrails Route Converter is a free online FIT to GPX converter. Using it, you can convert FIT to GPX as well as various other formats including KML, TCX, CRS, KMZ, PCX5, etc. Before conversion, you can also customize the output using the Customize the route tools. These tools give you the ability to reverse route data, add/replace elevation, collapse route details, add cue sheet data, and more.
How to convert FIT to GPX online:
Here are the steps to perform FIT to GPX conversion online using AllTrails Route Converter:
- First, open the AllTrails Route Converter’s website in your web browser.
- Now browse and import an input FIT file that you need to convert. You can also copy and paste the link to your input FIT file.
- Next, select the Convert as Track/Route or Waypoints format and set the Download as option in GPX format.
- After that, you can use customization tools to make changes to the output as shown above.
- Finally, click on the Convert File button to start the conversion process.
GPS viewer is another online tool you can use to convert FIT to GPX for free. It also allows you to convert FIT files to KML and TXT formats. The good part about this tool is that it allows you to convert multiple FIT files to GPX format at once. Before conversion, you can also make some customizations to the output, including deleting tracks, reversing tracks, setting Trackpoint distance threshold including waypoint data, calculating elevation gain , etc
You can use the steps below to convert FIT to GPX online:
- First, open the GPSVisualizer website in a web browser.
- Now set the output format to GPX.
- After that choose your input files one by one.
- Then you can click the Show advanced options button, then make changes accordingly.
- Then press the Convert to start the FIT to GPX conversion process.
3]Conversion of Garmin Fit files
Another online tool that allows you to convert FIT to GPX is Garmin Fit File Conversion. It is a simple and dedicated tool. You can simply open this tool in your browser and then select an input file. After that click on the Convert to GPX button to start converting. When the conversion is complete, you can download the resulting GPX file to your computer.
Try it here.
Try GOTOES to convert FIT to GPX and TCX format. In it, you can upload a FIT file, then select GPX as the output format, and click the Combine GPS File button to start the conversion process. You can merge multiple FIT files into one GPX file using it. You can try it here.
Is a FIT file a GPX file?
FIT and GPX are two different GPS data file formats. FIT stands for Flexible and Interoperable Data Transfer and is used to store distance, date, time, location, calories burned, heart rate, speed and other information. It is specifically used when using a GPS device during activities such as running, bike racing, cycling, swimming, etc. On the other hand, GPX (GPS andXchange format) is a standard GPS file format that contains waypoints, routes, and tracks.
How to convert a .FIT file?
You can convert a FIT file using two different methods. Either you can use free software like Garmin Basecamp or a free online tool like AllTrails Route Converter which allows you to convert FIT to GPX. We have shared other software and online tools that allow you to convert FIT to various formats, including GPX, KML, TCX, KMZ, etc. So you can check below.